Pages

Monday 16 June 2014

Decoupage

I stumbled across this technique from a blogger's page. Fell for it immediately and decided to give it a try since it looks simple enough. The tools required is also very easy to get by. Paint, glue and paper cuttings is all you need.


White paint and glue.
And so last Sunday afternoon,  I pulled out this stool from my storeroom. The stool was once belongs to my late mother-in-law which is her wedding gift from her father. It comes in a set of 2 with backs and 1 stool plus a round table. I took the chairs and stool but left the table in her bedroom in the ancestors' home. There's simply no room for the table even though I like it very much.
   
The stool's original color. This is another chair which comes in a pair.


Painted it with 2 coatings of white paint. 
 






Cut out the tiny flowers from the paper napkin I bought
earlier.







 
 
Started with the rim of the stool.
 




According to the instruction, I brush a thin layer of glue on the surface first. Carefully place the super thin paper on and coat it with glue again.

Hoorah! It was so simple. The result is encouraging!

And so I went on and on with my creativity until I was satisfied with the outcome.

The transformation is amazing and the finished work is really very beautiful!





I did not have any plan at all. I just worked along as the outcome changed.

The finished work has yet to add the varnish.  There's still lots of rooms for improvement though.
Closer look showing the roughness. Need improvement definitely. 
Felt so contented and happy with the first attempt, immediately I set my mind on the second project, a black shelf which I display my perfume miniature collections.


Courtesy from Wikipedia:-

 Decoupage (or découpage) is the art of decorating an object by gluing colored paper cutouts onto it in combination with special paint effects, gold leaf and so on. Commonly an object like a small box or an item of furniture is covered by cutouts from magazines or from purpose-manufactured papers. Each layer is sealed with varnishes (often multiple coats) until the "stuck on" appearance disappears and the result looks like painting or inlay work. The traditional technique used 30 to 40 layers of varnish which were then sanded to a polished finish.



No comments:

Post a Comment